I’m going to take a wild guess and assume that when people ask for a bamboo heart plant, they’re looking for a lucky bamboo plant shaped like a heart.
Although not a real bamboo, it looks quite familiar. Lucky Bamboo comes in a variety of shapes. This plant grows toward the sunlight so that you can shape it how you want. Hearts are just just one of them.
If you don’t want to put the effort in, you might get lucky at your local florist. Another option is ordering it online (use the links below).
How to make your own heart-shaped Lucky Bamboo
Maybe you want to give it a try and make your own Lucky Bamboo Heart. So, here is what you will need for it:
- 2x Lucky Bamboo stalks: Same length of about 5 inches (13 cm) – Order it from Amazon!
- Cardboard box or cardboard pieces
- Twist tie (Order it on Amazon)
- A somewhat sunny spot in your house
Like it? Pin it!
- Take the stalks and position them so that the bottoms are together. Use a twist tie to keep them together.
- Take a cardboard box and cut out one side. It should be 5 inches taller than the stalks (10 inches if you start with 5-inch stalks). If you don’t have a box, you can take cardboard pieces and create a 3-sided “shelter” with one piece on top. Use tape to attach the pieces.
- Now that you have a box with one side open (and the bottom is open), you have the growing environment. This will force the Lucky Bamboo to grow towards the light (a.k.a the open side). It will create a curve as the plants grow sideways in an attempt to get light. This can take a long time because Lucky Bamboo grows fairly slowly. Once the curve seems to be right for the bottom of the heart take the box off and flip the stalks around. You may want to open the top and block the side for a short time. It may help getting the heart-shape right.
- Repeat the first process waiting until the bamboo curves enough to complete the heart shape.
- When you believe it looks good. Flip one of the bamboo plants around so that they are facing each other and form a heart! Use twist tie to attach the ends in the middle. You can also use more twist ties in order to keep the shape.
There you go – it isn’t all that difficult! But it will take some time. If you’re not in a rush, it’ll be a perfect little project. If you need it as a gift soon, I’d recommend buying it ready-to-go!